From lamps to recipes, Himalayan Pink Salt is so popular right now! I want to show you how to use it to make a Himalayan pink salt scrub that will leave your skin radiant and glowing!
What is Himalayan Pink Salt?
Himalayan pink salt is salt that is mined in the Himalayas. It is naturally less processed than regular table salt, so there is nothing added to it, and maybe more importantly, none of the naturally beneficial properties have been removed. It contains 84 trace minerals, including magnesium, potassium and calcium. This is actually what gives it it’s beautiful pink color!
Benefits of a Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub
- It exfoliates your skin. Your skin cells are constantly being shed and replaced by new ones, but unless you are removing the dead cells, they start to pile up and leave you with dull skin. When you exfoliate with this scrub, you will find glowing skin! This is especially important in winter when our skin tends to be dry and dull because of the cold.
- It detoxifies. Your skin is your body’s largest organ and a lot of your body’s detoxification takes place through your skin! Toxins are pushed out through your pores, but they can start to build up. This salt scrub helps to clear your pores, cleaning out all the gunk that was trapped in them.
- It improves circulation and lymph flow. The motion of gently scrubbing your skin encourages blood flow and the movement of lymph through your body. These are meant to be moving in your body all the time, but often they become stagnant because of our sedentary lifestyles, so any help to get them moving again will only benefit your body!
Why make your own?
There are so many salt scrubs available for purchase, so why bother making your own? First, it’s super simple and a lot cheaper to make than it is to buy. More importantly, most of the storebought scrubs you will find are full of fillers and fragrances. These things are known endocrine disruptors, meaning they interfere with the way your endocrine system works, throwing it out of its natural balance. So now something that should have been beneficial for you actually becomes harmful! The homemade version has simple ingredients and the scent comes from essential oils that add to the health benefits, along with smelling great!
How to make Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub
I said this was super simple to make, and I wasn’t kidding! Start by melting some coconut oil in a pan or in the microwave. Stir in your pink salt and essential oils, scoop it into a glass container for storage, and you’re done! You can use any essential oils that you like, but some of my favorites are peppermint, lavender, ylang ylang or any citrus oil.
Try it out today and take some time to enjoy a luxurious body scrub!
Himalayan Pink Salt Scrub
- ⅓ c. unrefined virgin coconut oil melted
- 1 c. Himalayan Pink Salt
- 5-10 drops essential oil of your choice
- Melt coconut oil in a small pot or in the microwave.
- Stir in pink salt and essential oils until well mixed.
- Store in a glass container.
- Every week, massage all over your body in gentle circular motions after washing in the shower, and rinse well.